Wedding Photography Courses / Workshops
While these are two legitimate methods to becoming a professional wedding photographer, it is important to have some measures for what great wedding photography workshops should accomplish so you know whether its worthwhile enrolling in any particular course you may be interested in.
Table of Contents
What good Wedding Photography Workshops should give you
Overall, if your end goal is to become a highly-competent wedding photographer, then make sure any of the wedding photography workshops you look into, provides:
- Sufficient and deep knowledge about wedding photography that you can actually apply as a professional photographer
- Appropriate technical expertise that you can use eventually
- A proper venue where you can learn while interacting with other wedding photography students
- Available teaching-learning facilities or materials for wedding photography that could facilitate your learning process
- Enough exposure to train you and allow you to acquire the necessary skills
- Guidance of a wedding photography expert who can be readily available, preferably even online 24/7
- Easy access to all services provided by the courses
- Students’ help services that reply promptly to any concern
However, apart from the proper prerequisites, actually “getting there” is equally, if not even more important.
What a wedding photography course should accomplish:
- Give you all the tools on hand to eventually turn you into a professional wedding photographer
- Help you establish an actual career as a professional wedding photographer, i.e. including al the ancillary tools needed to run a profitable business
- Hone your skills even after the course by providing continuous professional education
Wedding photography courses can be true stepping stones for wanna-be photographers to turn their hobby into a true profession. It is a legitimate method of earning a living, and is a highly lucrative business if you play your cards right.
What wedding photography workshops or classes should further accomplish these days is also the preparation of the learner in his attitude and behavior. The attentive aspect of learning is not generally provided by regular wedding photography courses, but this is one recommended aspect that should be provided as well.
Your frame of mind, attitude and behavior as a photographer counts a lot in your success. Are you mentally and morally prepared to associate yourself with your customers as a professional wedding photographer?
You should be able to know how to do the listed items below:
- Talk to the bride in a professional but personal level so you would know exactly what she expects from her pictures
- Direct people in an orderly and respectful manner during the photography sessions
- Adapt open-mindedness in the shooting of your pictures so you can accept suggestions without feeling offended
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with your customers to maintain rapport
For a photographer to be fully rounded in his profession, the following three domains should be present: cognitive, psycho motor and attentive phases. In the cognitive phase, you should learn all the information and acquire all the necessary knowledge about the actual wedding photography. In the psycho-motor phase you should become familiarized with the necessary skill-set and in attentive phase you should learn how to behave “properly” with your customers.
All of above describes what great wedding photography courses should accomplish; simply put as a professional photographer you should think and act as a professional in all aspects of your personality.
If you are planning on enrolling in one of these courses, make sure that lessons in all of the above are included. You also want to consider the costs of each individual course. There are several inexpensive courses and even some great books or eBooks that offer great content.
Filed under: Wedding Photography